Sunday, January 29, 2012

Biscuits


These are my sweet milk biscuits.
I also make buttermilk biscuits but these are my family's favorite.


See!

"These are better than the ones you get in a can!"

He ate his all gone!

First I will share some bits of information that I have picked up along the way. Baking is not difficult if you understand that it is a science. Did you ever wonder why your can of baking powder says "Double Acting?"
Well, that's because it's activated twice: 1st, when you add liquid, and 2nd, when heat is applied. So what does this mean you ask? It means that after you've mixed the wet ingredients into the dry and you have kneaded the dough, (ever so gently)  and you've cut the biscuits out and they are in the greased pan, now, let them sit for about 15 minutes before you put them into the oven, they will rise. Letting them rise before you bake your biscuits will result in bigger, fluffier and more tender biscuits!
Most recipes never say that, so if you're like me you've followed that recipe as it was written and then wonder why your biscuits are not as big and fluffy as those at your favorite restaurant. Try it!



This is a 'heaping' tablespoon of sugar. This isn't enough to make the biscuits
taste 'sweet', it just adds another dimension to the flavor. If you want a sweeter
biscuit you could double this amount.


Whisk the dry ingredients together.


You can use shortening, lard or butter (or a combination of any of the three)
for the fat in the recipe. It does need to be a solid fat though and
not a liquid like vegetable oil. I used COLD butter here.

Mix in the butter with your fingers (no fancy tools needed for this!) and
when it looks like this you're ready to move on to the next step!
Add the milk a little at a time...
...and stir it so you know when you've added enough milk because some
 days will take less liquid than others. This one I can't explain, you'd think
that rain would mean you need less liquid but that's not always the case!
Any who...It should look like this.
I don't use a rolling pin either, I just pat the dough out with my hands
 to about 1/2 inch thick. I broke my kitchen ruler just before this shot
so I had to use this one that is usually designated for my desk.
I didn't show it because both my hands were covered with biscuit dough and flour, but to knead the biscuit dough you simply fold it in half and then turn it and fold in half again. Use only enough gentle pressure to flatten it enough to fold over again.
Do this about 8-10 times.

I have this set of biscuit cutters with three sizes, today I decided to use the
momma bear size because the grand kids have pretty healthy appetites!

While the biscuits are having a little R&R you can use the cutter as a
bench scraper to help clean up!
After 15 minutes of R&R.
Notice the ugly one at the bottom right? Well that is just the last piece of dough!
 Also, notice how I like to put my biscuits close together so the sides are
softer rather than crusty.
I put them into a 10 inch cast iron skillet here. I used bacon drippings to grease it.
That gives your biscuits an old fashioned, grandma's kitchen taste!
I just love my mom's cast iron skillet!



Sweet Milk Biscuits
Makes  10 - 2 1/2 inch biscuits

2 cups flour
1 heaping tblsp. sugar
2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup cold butter, shortening or lard
3/4 - 1 cup 2% milk 


Preheat oven to 450 degrees

Measure the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a medium sized mixing bowl.

Mix the shortening in by hand, using your fingers to mix the flour mixture into the shortening until the mixture in the bowl looks like peas.

Add enough milk to bring the dry ingredients together and form a dough.

Put some flour onto work surface, turn the dough out onto the flour and lightly knead about 6 - 10 times.

Pat out to about 1/2” thick and cut with the round cutter. Place into a 10" baking pan or cast iron skillet. Brush with half & half or melted butter.

Cover with a towel and set the pan of biscuits aside for 15  minutes then put them into the oven & bake for about 15 - 20 minutes or until they’re a light golden brown.


1 comment:

  1. Love this! Great job! Cooking sites are my fav! And the tip about letting them rest just what I needed! Thanks a ton!

    ReplyDelete